When it comes to things you look forward to doing, filing your taxes generally does not make the list. We understand! However, putting off filing until the last minute tends not to be a good strategy for most people. In fact, there are a number of reasons why you should work with Shaw & Associates, your Fort Collins tax accountant, to get your forms sent off as early as possible.
Get Ahead of the Game
As any experienced Fort Collins tax accountant will tell you, it’s wise to get your taxes taken care of as soon as you have all the information you need. Here are the top five advantages of being an early bird:
- Avoid identity theft and the filing of fraudulent tax returns on your behalf. If someone gets a hold of your Social Security number, they can file a tax return in your name and have your refund sent to them. For obvious reasons they file early in the season, but they can’t if you’ve already submitted your returns.
- You get your refund faster. If you will be getting money back from the government, the sooner you file, the sooner you’ll have that check in your hand.
- You know what you owe sooner. If you will have to make a payment to the government, knowing what that amount is in January or February gives you more time to gather the funds before the mid-April payment deadline.
- It takes the stress out of tax season. Nobody likes having a deadline hanging over their head. Filing early means you can relax and move on to other things.
- You get information you may need for other reasons. If you will soon be doing things like applying for a mortgage or taking out student loans, you may need verified financial information from your recent tax returns.
The phrase “Good things come to those who wait” applies in many areas of life, but not taxes! Contact Shaw & Associates, your trusted Fort Collins tax accountant, today and let’s get started on your returns!